Air Quality in Classrooms and Solutions Against Covid-19
Two – an Italian and an American – case histories will be at the centre of a webinar organised by Interreg QAES, both dealing with air quality in classrooms and school buildings and specific references to measures against Covid-19. The event will take place on Thursday, 9th December 2021 and starts at 5 p.m. Among the participants discussing and analysing the two featured topics are Angela Loder, Vice President, Research at the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI), and Gaetano Settimo, Coordinator of the National Study Group on Indoor Pollution, and researcher at the Istituto Superiore di Sanità (Italian National Institute of Health).
Since the pandemic outbreak, especially air quality in schools has become a highly topical and sensitive issue. Poor air quality makes students more tired and brings concentration lacks, thus having a fundamental decreasing impact on their well-being and study capacities. However, the lack of air change also promotes the risks of a higher spreading ratio of the Coronavirus. Indeed, the construction industry is called to action for finding immediate and effective solutions to counter poor air quality inside schools.
A goal also set by QAES, an Interreg project coordinated by IDM South Tyrol in collaboration with partners from South Tyrol and the Canton of Ticino. The project has been forwarding air-improving technological solutions subsequently applied in schools, avoiding major structural interventions, and carrying out tests and measurements for the last three years.
Also, a survey of companies, installers, designers, and consultants was carried out to examine the subject in-depth and take a snapshot of the current range of solutions on the market. The results will be discussed during the webinar on Thursday, 9th December, featuring Clara Peretti, consultant of the Laboratory for Air Analysis and Radiation Protection of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano.
The event is organised in collaboration with the Chamber of Engineers of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano and the support of the Chamber of Architects. It will be held in Italian and English (without simultaneous translation). The webinar is approved for 1 educational professional credit for engineers (CFP) and 1 WELL AP CEU credit. Registrations are on this link.
- 17:00-17:10 | Introduction and moderation – Carlo Battisti, Project Manager Interreg IT-CH QAES, IDM Südtirol-Alto Adige
- 17:10-17-25 | Schools, Air Quality, and COVID-19: the U.S. Experience – Angela Loder, Vice President, Research at International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) [ENG]
- 17:25-17:40 | Indoor air quality in school facilities: health and hygiene aspects – Gaetano Settimo, Coordinator of the National Study Group on Indoor Pollution (GdS), Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS) [ITA]
- 17:40-17:55 | Solutions against COVID for schools: analysis and interpretation of the survey to manufacturers and professionals – Clara Peretti, Consultant at the Autonomous Province of Bolzano, Laboratory for Air Analysis and Radiation Protection [ITA]
- 17:55-18:10 | Round table discussion
- 18:10-18.15 | Conclusions
Webinar recording is available here